Tuesday, July 8, 2008

The Precious' Of The Pirate Wenchie

There's this one watch movement which of course is of the captivating Elgin brand and upon my research last night here's what the serial number revealed Click Here. My little precious is from 1905 =D I did a little dance and blabbered to my uninterested husband. In my hands I held a piece of equipment 103 years old and it is nearly pristine (one of the top silver gears has been replaced or scratched to heck so the etched design is gone). I will be taking pics then turning it over to be sold =( but for now it's my precious!
Which has got me thinking my treasures are and have always been antique items because of the pure artistic nature of them which lacks in this fast mass produced blandness of a world we live in. However even that can be appreciated in a way but it lacks a soul the personality an artist can give to their work. I subconsciously believe that when I create something I breathe life into it. A piece of my soul gives life to my work and I feel that with the artwork I admire I can see it's soul as well.

Another precious thing to me is my sacred coffee shop funnel mill which shall soon be over run by yuppies and hipsters =( which is good (the place shall stay)and bad (over crowding). Funnel Mill has just been voted the best coffee/tea shop in all of LA by the Los Angeles magazine =D and so this shall be revealed once that publication comes out (I know this before hand because I'm a regular) but as a symbol of gratitude they will be offering the Kopi Luwak (poop) coffee with a $20 discount of $40 a cup.

Here's a snippet of what Funnel Mill has about it and click on the image above for the full story.
"Kopi Luwak coffee comes from the Indonesian island of Sumatra, an area well-known for its excellent coffee. Also native to the area is a small civet-like animal called a Paradoxurus. That's the scientific name, but the locals called them Luwaks. These little mammals live in the trees and one of their favorite foods is the red, ripe coffee cherry. They eat the cherries, bean and all. While the beans are in the Luwak's stomach, they undergo chemical treatments and fermentations. The beans finish the journey through the digestive system, exit. The still-intact beans are collected from the forest floor, and are cleaned, then medium-roasted and ground just like any other coffee."

No comments: